Sunday, February 01, 2009

a pitcher or two later.

Tonight was Kyle's birthday and I'm 21, so I got to experience two Hyde Park haunts I'd never seen before; the pub in the basement of Ida Noyes, and Jimmy's. Both have their regulars and their reputations, and it all felt very novel, as though I were in a completely different city, as though I were suddenly a quasi-adult with the right to be sitting in a worn wooden booth with a pitcher of foamy beer in front of me. Not that I feel too young for it, no--this is the perfect time for it, all things are running on schedule.

Sitting there, though, listening to a New Person talk about Antarctica (where he's been) and around-the-world plane tickets and all the rest, I just kept walking back to a main point, inside my head: dating. Those I should date, I do not want to; I want to date those I should not. It's a common theme. I am beginning to grow seriously skeptical of my own ability to decide who I should and should not date. I wrestle with myself for long and drawn-out periods, confusing certain people with my alternating warmth and distance. I decide I will catch certain others, who end up being otherwise engaged and responding coolly. And then there's a friend who seems inwardly terrified of the prospect of my re-falling in love, that's a fun dynamic. There's some really unbalanced stuff going on. I suppose my only hope is that this world balances itself out while I concentrate on different things.. and there's a lot to concentrate on.

Tomorrow I'm going somewhere else in the city, alone, with some homework and my self and I'll hit up some tea. Not coffee, tea. Not bad company.

No comments: