Thursday, February 05, 2009

putting the "Great" in Depression!

I am poor.

And by poor, I mean, in debt. In modest, not-terrifying debt, mind you (for now), but I've once more dipped into the loan function on my debit account and am therefore not just poor but a debtor. I could explain how this happened but it's a sad story involving tears and rent money and lying to my parents about how much of my tuition refund check remains because I am ashamed of the money disappearing, despite the fact that it all went to legitimate use (i.e. groceries, books for class when the library did not pull through, HEAT). I am ashamed and I feel guilty for asking for money, and so I exaggerated the amount of money I have and I'm back. In debt.

I need to start figuring out creative solutions to this problem. Chinese buns for $1 suffice for lunch (or samosas for $1.50) and are one way of reducing costs. But the truth is, I like to live in (modest but unsustainable) luxury. For example, today I bought an Honest Tea, which increases my happiness considerably but causes damages both monetarily and environmentality (and subsequently emotionally). This is how it starts: I tell myself I will buy an Honest Tea in order to use the bottle for water. But then it's a slippery slide, and slowly I'm buying illicit bottles of Honest Tea because I love the tea (and it uses cane sugar! no high fructose corn syrup!), and I already have plenty of bottles for water. Tea with my lunch is most decidedly a luxury I cannot afford as a meager debtor. And especially not Honest Tea, which might masquerade as Environmentally Friendly but is still born of a corporation and wants my tender, hard-earned dollars.

I already work the maximum hours an undergrad can put in at the library, and it may be draining but still, much like the world, it is not enough. I need other ways of making money or reducing costs. Here are some of my/the ideas thus far:

--Going to the Business School to be a guinea pig for their surveys, thereby making $1-$12 in the process every survey.

--Going to the Business School on Fridays for dinner, because apparently the cafe gives away free food.

--Tutoring high schoolers in something that isn't math or science, which might be difficult because the lab school kids are all smart little private school twerps who wouldn't make it past 5th grade without a strong foundation in any of things in which I would be prepared to tutor.

...and that's about all. Any creative advice appreciated.

No comments: