Sunday, January 04, 2009

Otherwise engaged.

A lot of people seem to be getting engaged lately.

Maybe this is largely a symptom of Facebook. Or maybe I'm actually at an age where I start to see people my age committing "for life" and then reproducing, like waiting for any reason is just too much work, and moot besides. Biology tells us this is partially the right answer--we're just about ripe for propagating the species...we have been for a while now. But biology also tends to hesitate when it sees us doing the commitment thing at twenty. Evolutionarily speaking, there should be lots of sex with lots of people, lots of wonderful gene-spreading. Culturally speaking, picking out the person whose adult diaper you're willing to change at 88 before you're legal to drink... well, if the evil statistics are any indication, it's a bad idea.

I shouldn't side with the statistics, but I'm realistic, so I do.

I just recently became okay with the idea of wearing mascara, finding a way to reconcile it with certain feminist ethics to which I'm attached. This was a big step. I don't see engagement in my near future.

But really now, just for a minute here: honestly?

No comments: