Monday, December 24, 2007

debilitating december.

The past week has been a headache.

Literally. I have had a headache every day for almost a week now. I think it's more like one long headache that intermittently strengthens and weakens. And it's of the tension variety--I know this because it feels like a band around my head. Also because a couple years ago, after having frequent headaches, I had half-convinced myself I had a brain tumor, and went so far as to go to the hospital and get a CT Scan. Just tension, as it turns out.

Normally I don't get them more than once or twice a month and it's fine, but I'm really getting tired of it now.

Maybe it's the switching from book to screen to book to different screen to book again. Or the switching from contacts to glasses to contacts to glasses. Or my diet of half celery, half sugar. Or my new sleeping schedule. Or my longing for my friends. Or the constant gray of my surroundings.

But hey! Friday I'm going to a place where there's sun and modest, spring-like temperatures, and I will spend less time looking at screens and more time meeting my family. And just a week after that, back in my city with tall buildings and public transportation and a healthy acceptance of and respect for tofu--it always comes back to my need for the Chicago.

I feel like I should say something about Christmas, but I'm just really not that excited about it. We already opened our gifts, and I'm not much of a Christian. And even if I was, Jesus was born in April or something.

...you try being cheerful with a vise on your head.

No comments: