Wednesday, June 24, 2009

oh, so this is journalism.

I just got home from work. It is almost 1AM.

OK, so I didn't work all day. I actually came in at 11AM, left at 5PM, went to a play, and returned to the office at 8:30PMish to review it. I finished around midnight, and my editor usually works nights, so he went over the piece with me. This is my schedule. But not every day.

Because I'm treated like an actual journalist, I'm starting to see what the life of a journalist is like. And what is it like? Random. Especially in features.

I spent Monday-day at work and Monday-night watching a show for a person I have to do a profile on.
I spent Tuesday-day at work and Tuesday-night interviewing the same person.
I took off this morning and worked most of the night.

Since I'm supposed to only work 40 hours a week (grant money details), I only have a few hours left to work this week. That's supposed to involve another interview and another play and another play review, but there's not enough time for that--so I may only do the interview. And take tomorrow morning off. And take all of Friday off.

It's very, very independent, this job. Since most all music & theater & arts events happen at night, I end up working a lot of my nights out, and then with too many hours, so I can/should take mornings off. It's kind of awesome, actually. The best part of this job? Getting paid to be entertained. The not best but still good part? Getting paid to reflect on it.

I could do this for a living. Even if the pay sucks, you have the essential part--a living.

No comments: