Monday, April 07, 2008

lady in WAITING.

Because nobody can keep my applications and their implications straight (and I mean, not even my mom), here's a little review on the status of my attempts at fleeing the country with little in hand for a very different place:

1. University of Chicago Pune Program

Entails: Late September thru mid-December in Pune, India (apparently very intellectual, it's called the "Oxford of India" [or maybe it's "Cambridge of India"--I always get those two confused]). I would be staying with 25 or so other UChicagoans, and fulfilling my civilization requirement by learning all about South Asian civ. Travel to nearby states involved (Kerala!). Rumored to be very FUN. Involves costs piled on top of regular quarter costs.
Status: Accepted.

2. American Institute of Indian Studies Intermediate Hindi Program

Entails: Ten-week (summer) intensive Hindi study in the city of Jaipur.
Status: Pending--but who cares? I have no funding; I'm not going.

3. Critical Language Scholarship (funding)

Entails: A couple thousand dollars from the federal gov't for the intensive study of a language abroad. Application specifically asking for funding for AIIS summer program (see above).
Status: Rejected.

4. Minnesota Studies in International Development -- India

Entails: Early-September thru mid-April (8 months!) with University of Minnesota juniors, seniors, and grad students in Jaipur. Classes all centered on international development, sustainability, public health, etc (and Hindi). HOME-STAY. Spring internship with a nearby NGO! Research project based on findings in internship, classes. All costs ~$16,000 (including plane ticket).
Status: Accepted.

5. National Security Education Program -- Boren Scholarship (funding)

Entails: Funding for entirety of Minnesota program. A promise to work for the gov't for the same amount of time spent abroad--the idea is to recruit returnees with knowledge in languages critical to national security to the State, Defense, National Security, etc. departments in order to avoid doing things like invading nations we know nothing about (or to better invade them, maybe). The service requirement is flexible, though (think: Environmental Protection Agency) and think even the Peace Corps counts now.
Status: Pending. . . . . .

It's a bit frustrating having plans that aren't set for next year, and waiting around to hear about funding, as I had to contact both the Pune program head and the MSID head to explain about such complications and why I'd rather not just fork over the $500 and $400 deposits (respectively) before finding out what I can do. Because, obviously, I'd be losing either $500 or $400. But they clearly want their deposits, and I'm clearly a bit of an inconvenience. I have to re-contact the head of the study abroad office again by Wednesday if I haven't heard from NSEP (which I will not have). I'm just hoping he doesn't want me to pay.

This is all not that interesting, maybe.

Anyway.

On a different note, these are the classes I'm taking this quarter:

1. State Collapse and State Reconstruction. This is technically a human rights course. It's taught by an African guy (!) which is new, as I rarely run into Africans on campus and this is the first time I've seen/met an African professor. He seems a little naturally shy, and sometimes I zone out a little and lose the English in his accent, but he has a lot of intelligent things to say. Every class a couple people "present" the readings by asking discussion questions based on them (I'm tomorrow!). We've already touched on the whole You're-Applying-Western-Standards-to-Other-Nations argument, which can get a little excruciating when you're talking about BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS, like not KILLING people for having other religious BELIEFS or ethnic ORIGINS. Tomorrow I'm going to make people talk about whether or not population regulations are ethical.

2. Hindi 103. 'Course. Only Jason seems to be on speed now (7 exercises for homework is just. not. realistic.) Also, we're learning the URDU script (think borrowed from Persian [borrowed from Arabic]). Which is both difficult and kind of awesome.

3. Philosophical Foundations of Human Rights. Taught by a self-deprecating British man (aren't they all?), given to lengthy anecdotes, but apparently very learned on his subject. The first class, he managed to mention abortion, Rambo, and the stupidity of children. I anticipate a good quarter. (ps--African, now British? I'm oh-so-international this quarter.)

4. Urban Ecology: The Environmental History of the City. Technically a history course. Very interesting subject taught by a wavy-haired guy (insert remembrance of "Catcher in the Rye") who's actually an archaeologist. Also seems to have a sense of humor, and be kind of brilliant. We're reading some very cool books and sort of focusing on Chicago.

Anyway, I have scads of stuff to do (all the reading might kill me this quarter)... so ttyl, lolz.

No comments: