Thursday, January 17, 2008

SOUP. and sickness.

I anticipate that much of my time over the next few days will be spent attempting not to get sick.

Last night, I was so utterly and completely wiped out that I was almost nonfunctional and ended up going to sleep at 7:30PM. And I had gotten up at a perfectly respectable hour that morning.

But I had spent some time with T. in the main room, and he was blowing his nose all over the place. When he's sick, his strategy is completely ignoring it and soldiering through. As a result... he's always sick.

But me, I have the immune system of an ox. I haven't succumbed to a thing over the past year beyond a few sneezes and a mornings' long sore throat (and an eye infection, but that can hardly be blamed on my immune system). I'm not sure exactly why this is, but I do some things right--I eat a billion tomatoes, chain-drink tea, and sleep when I need sleep. I even take vitamins once in a while.

I also wonder sometimes about the relationship between my pleasant state of health and my vegetarianism. For example, I really rarely get stomachaches anymore. I haven't had a real cold, fever, or flu in a very long time. I usually feel very good. I remember after a few weeks (or was it months?) of not eating meat, I felt--literally--lighter. Meat is so heavy on your stomach, and the alternative might tend to be less energy efficient, but I think it's more comfortable to process.

Anyway. The point is: I'm warding off sickness. I drank orange juice and I'm taking my vitamins. Try to catch me with so much as a sniffle.

Tonight I'm making minestrone soup and A. and I are watching a movie the Mormons made about the beginnings of their religion. It should be superb.

2 comments:

Marla ji said...

"Meat is so heavy on your stomach, and the alternative might tend to be less energy efficient"

Do explain

Claire said...

By energy efficient I mean digestion-wise, as in, meat is extremely high in protein, amino acids, etc. and is easier to break down, whereas plants tend to be tougher to break down, and we can't digest the cellulose. Although.. humans do tend to be more herbivore-ishly built than carnivore-ishly built.

I didn't mean less energy efficient in an environmental sense.