Monday, February 04, 2008

here comes black bear now!

A good song is "Black Bear" by Black Bear.

Also, if I were to fall in love with someone I didn't know--if I didn't think it was a silly idea--I would most definitely be in love with Beirut's Zach Condon. That voice! That striped sweater! That inebriated cover of Grizzly Bear's "Knife"! That level of accomplishment at the youthful age of 22!

Mostly, though... that voice.

Sigh. Anyway.

I had what would be deemed by most people an entirely lame weekend, but I think it was nice. Friday night we had some friends over and just sat around with a little Blue Moon, which was perfectly acceptable. Saturday, A., U. and I went to Wicker Park and studied in a cafe that crafted gorgeous cakes and played oldies in the background. I worked my way through lots of chai tea and Hindi vocabulary. Basically all day, until nighttime, when we ate at the Cheesecake Factory in the John Hancock.

On the way back, we talked about religion a bit. I've been fascinated lately by the origins of religion. Particularly the exact moment when the first hunter-gatherer conceived of the notion of there being something bigger. The exact moment when it wasn't enough to just survive. It's an intriguing idea, is it not? What exact thing generated that concept?

...when I got back I just ended up continuing to work. Midnight on a Saturday and it was me, a cup of tea, and work. It felt okay.

I woke up this morning, sort of randomly grabbed Rabbit, Run from my bedside table and got deeper into it. I want nothing more to just keep reading, but I can't, not now. I guess that gives me something to look forward to for the end of the week. If a million obligations don't crop up before then.

I studied all day, wrote my Hindi composition, read from my IS books to try to narrow down what I'm writing my essay about (water shortage in the Nile/desalination, it looks like).

I like synthesizing. I like knowing things. I'm just a little sleepy.

No comments: