Monday, October 08, 2007

September CDX

I am a part of a CD-exchange group with eleven other members (including my sister). Each person is assigned a month to burn eleven identical CDs to send out, and every month you receive a CD. It's very nifty. I'm the youngest person in the group, and also probably the least obscure in music knowledge, which means that every month my taste and knowledge are improved slightly more.

My month is September. Instead of writing tonight, I'm going to post my 2007 track list, and link whenever possible to the song on the internet. Trust me--it's a good mix.

1. "Monochrome" : Yann Tiersen (youtube: Angsty-Emo homemade video)
2. "Green Bird" : Yoko Kanno (youtube: Cowboy Bebop-themed video)
3. "Weather and Water" : The Greencards
4. "City Hall" : Vienna Teng (myspace)
5. "A Better Wife" : Erin McKeown
6. "The Next Step You'll Take" : Club 8
7. "Draft Dodger Rag" : Kind of Like Spitting
8. "Wild is the Wind" : The Second Band (myspace)
9. "She Moves in Her Own Way" : The Kooks (myspace)
10. "Some of Them Were Superstitious : Midlake
11. "Shy That Way (feat. Jason Mraz)" : Tristan Prettyman (youtube: live and ridiculously cute)
12. "Tiger, My Friend" : Psapp (youtube: grey's anatomy video)
13. "The Pirate's Gospel" : Alela Diane
14. "Ashes on Your Eyes" : Deb Talan
15. "Serenade" : Emiliana Torrini (youtube: live with pretty dress)
16. "Rue des Cascades" : Yann Tiersen (youtube: on some french movie)

Here are some notes:

1. "Ashes on Your Eyes" may lack an internet outlet, but that doesn't mean it's not required. It's absolutely required. If you can't find it yourself, I will email it to you. The rest of the album (A Bird Flies Out) is highly recommended. It's all I seem to want to listen to lately, in fact.

2. While I couldn't find the Midlake song either, their myspace music must not be overlooked. They also have a variety of interesting music videos on youtube, including one for Roscoe which is somewhat bland but wonderfully historically Midwestern. It seems to awaken some weird ancient nostalgia in me, like the part of me that really wants to believe that when I was little I played in wheat fields and used wooden toys. Some things did exist, like hayrides (which poke like hell but smell lovely), but really it's Michigan and you can't expect too much in the way of prairie. Really this is all beside the point. Which is: I'm shamelessly promoting this band because I love them.

Happy listening.

No comments: