Thursday, October 25, 2007

my brain on coffee

I am ingesting caffeine. A latte, actually. For this, my body is very happy with me. Espresso makes me tipsy on par with alcohol. I become notably euphoric. It's pretty dramatic, really.

I need caffeine for today; tomorrow I have a potentially ass-kicking midterm in international studies. Those 50 minutes will probably be less euphoric. But now I'm ready to study. If I hadn't destroyed my favorite bandanna to repair some ripped jeans, I would don both it and a pair of leg warmers I found and then do some work. Wearing unusual accessories makes me feel more efficient. It's an interesting phenomenon.

The Arcade Fire think their heart (collectively?) is an apple. Which prompted me toward a creative exercise today, which is: think of three things your heart can be likened to. It's fun, try it. Here's what I got:

a) a fish. Swollen and slippery. Fish are not swollen usually, but I persist in identifying them as swollen. And I always imagine my heart as a fish.
b) a steamboat. Obsolete, cantankerous, irrelevantly Disneyish.

I haven't decided yet on the third one.

People don't like birds enough. I really like birds. In fact, I don't spend enough time thinking about how much I like birds. Did you know they're dinosaurs? I learned that today. The only thing evolutionarily separating birds and dinosaurs are feathers. My biology prof had a big long rant against intelligent design, and we learned birds are dinosaurs.

I was thinking today that non-religion is in many ways more poetic than religion.

Last night I dreamt I was in Saudi Arabia. It was desert, the sky was purple, there were snakes. I felt vulnerable, liberated, and curious. I think that set up my mood for today. I've also been on a steady diet of Regina Spektor/Joanna Newsom songs.

I've been mightily stressed out but I think that's passing over. Here's what you can listen to if you feel stressed out.

I hope that was a little coherent. I should study now.

1 comment:

Upekha said...

1) I love you back.
2) Coherence is overrated.
3) What about c) A difficult child. That will never do what you want it to and thinks the world is made of rainbows but cries when someone steals its crayons.