Saturday, August 25, 2007

so stereotypical.

Yesterday I purchased a new laptop, for ~$400. Quite inexpensive (especially for a Toshiba), but I don't really need to do anything fancy anyway. All I do is write. And troll people's heavily-congested, frequently too personal myspace pages.

Sometimes I get into themes. For example, perhaps you didn't know that blogs among army wives with small children are extremely common. I sometimes come out of those either feeling nostalgic in a WWII, Rosie-the-Riveter kind of way, or longing for a baby in a kittenish, unrealistic sort of way. It makes sense that people with babies would have a nuclear-familyesque blog, especially if the rest of their family lives far away. I can even see myself doing something like that, in the cloudy, comfortably-far future, from some vague place like New Zealand. It can be done well. I came across the blog of an American woman living in Israel, detailing her pregnancy and displaying pictures of various picnics and hikes in pretty countrysides with her Israeli husband. It seemed very happy. I'm a bit fascinated with pregnancy.

I realize now that last paragraph might make me seem creepy. Too much qualifies as creepiness, in my opinion. Which, of course, is something no one can say.

There are other themes. The Emo, for example, still in existence and boasting several intoxicated and exhibitionist posts which say things like "Do you know how often I cry about you?" (direct) or else something a little more artful. Emo blogs can occasionally seem artful.

The self-conscious hipster myspace pages, the display photograph being maybe a close up on the person's nose ring or something. Also artful, pretty. But the writing is often so jaded & cool that I feel a little dull inside after reading.

My, I'm full of labels and accusations today. It does seem a little too methodical though, the way people stick to their types. I feel sometimes that had some things been just barely adjusted in my earlier teenage years, I might have assumed the position of hipster. But I'm not that cool. I don't have a tattoo or piercing, and I've grown somewhat critical of Kerouac, and my own cynicism. I'd like to be sarcastic less.

Does everybody need to identify with some particular culture or counterculture? Sometimes I feel like an Old-People. I have some Old-People tendencies, like listening to a lot of bluegrass and old country-folk standards and drinking a whole lot of tea and drawing enjoyment from rearranging my books & quiet weekend nights.

These sort of thoughts are starting to give me a headache. Labels are an overused and trite topic, especially for the internet.

...

T. gets out of work in a few hours, and I think we may go to the West Side and explore various Middle Eastern bakeries and Korean cafes. I can't spend any money, but I can take pictures and absorb moods, which is really why I get into the city anyway. Though money will get you chocolate mousse from Artopolis..

Here's a good song: The Pirate's Gospel by Alela Diane.

No comments: