Tuesday, August 28, 2007

bee inspired!

I've been feeling inspired lately, in a muted, stuck-in-a-routine, late-summer kind of way.

So here's an update: I've been thinking about possibly double-majoring in Environmental Studies. Relentlessly thinking about it. There are some pros & cons. Allow me to list them.

PROS:
-I would get to take a lot of really cool classes about which I'm already excited... i.e. Introduction to Population, Environmental Law, History of Ideas of Nature, Is Development Sustainable?, U.S. Environmental Policy, etc.
-I could easily get an environment-related job in the future, which I'm thinking I might want.
-It goes (very) well with International Studies. Environmental + International = Interesting.

CONS:
-I would have to take a few classes I'm not quite so excited about, i.e. economics & statistics. And after I'd thrilled at finishing math second quarter. I think I may also have to take chemistry, which, uh.. I haven't ever before.
-No more room for extra classes.
-Lots of work at the end of year four.

I am playing very tentatively with different plans. Poking at them, really. Trying them on. Taking them back off. Staring at them.

There's the Year-In-India Plan, still in idea-form, backed by my starting Hindi classes. There's the current tangible evidence of Plan with my Teach Yourself Hindi book. My parents have been informed of Plan. I am alternately thrilled and frightened by its significance. I have dreams about it.

There's the lovely idea of finding a way to spend the next summer in Boulder with my sister (who has yet to be informed..) perhaps by way of getting an internship or good summer job. The University of Colorado is out there, and the Center for Atmospheric Research. They like the environment. Me, too.

There's the vague and distant "Law School?" idea, which doesn't really go anywhere, just sits there, waiting to be explored or discarded. Always with the question mark.

It's funny that now with my lack of spending money, I keep finding things I really want to do. Probably because now I have lots of time (my job offers some hefty down-time, hence my prolific posting) to look for things to do.

For example, I have a sudden gnawing desire to take music lessons at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Lincoln Park. Why? Mainly because it's so cool. They don't offer just your standard guitar, drums & bass. Oh no. I could take lessons on the tin whistle. I could learn Brazilian guitar. Lessons are reasonably priced. Maybe I'll look at it again in winter or spring quarter.

And then there's photography. I've become sort of obsessed with taking pictures. If I could afford a lovely camera with a fast shutter-speed.. ohhh.

Of course, school will start soon, and so will great masses of homework, and that just might put a little damper on my inspiration where extracurriculars are concerned. What a sad thought. I'm very big on the ideas lately, very small on the action.

But I did manage to walk through the grass at the Point on Sunday, step too close to a bee, and get stung in the side of the foot. I haven't had a bee sting in 10 years. There's some action.

It itches like crazy, now.

1 comment:

Marla ji said...

"I've been thinking about possibly double-majoring in Environmental Studies."

Yes!