Saturday, September 02, 2006

hard at work or hardly working? HAW.

I am at work, sitting on the floor behind the counter, making use of the laptop. If I don't, who will? I have an hour before I get to go home, crawl into bed, and attempt to go back to sleep. Last night sucked; I got all emotional, and then I couldn't sleep, and then I talked to Connie which is good because she's lovely, and then I couldn't sleep some more. When I did fall asleep, I woke up several times until finally at 4AM I got up and suffered. I suffered because I am of the feminine persuasion and I chose not to have a baby. God (or vague floaty conception of such) is punishing me at 4AM for not having a baby when it was conceivably possible, given my biological status. The pain was not fathomable. Not even the fetal position brought comfort. Not even a hot water bottle, in which I somehow managed to melt a hole with hot water (how is that possible?) God finally gave in to 2 Ibuprofen and allowed me to sleep at 6AM. And then I got up at 7 for work.

I am lately plagued with anxiety, I think. I have a number of reasons for thinking this, and one of the most interesting is the fact that this morning I woke up with a constellation of red spots on my leg. It closely resembles the Little Dipper, in fact. I am bewildered. Last week I had a similar constellation on my stomach. My mom thinks my cats have fleas and they're biting me in my sleep. A disturbing notion, to be sure. But I don't think my cats have fleas, and if they did, I don't think they would suddenly take to biting star patterns into my skin.

I am a little anxious, maybe, about school. Not about living kind of far away or about the radical adjustment, but about the math placement test. And sharing acommunity bathroom with boys. Not that I'd voice objection, because then I'd be that girl that voiced an objection, and then I'd have to walk up or down a flight of stairs every time I'd have to pee, and I have a small bladder. Or, worse, all the guys would have to and they'd whine. I don't really mind, save for my own embarrassment. I think it'll be kind of a fun experiment.

I know not to be anxious, because I have a plan for the math exam. And the bathrooms - we're all just animals anyway. I'll just transition back over to my mindframe of incredible euphoria, and think about how I'm going to be living in the city of Chicago, riding my bicycle along lakeshore, learning with a new sort of intensity, eating salad and ice cream whenever, meeting strange and intriguing people, and partying atop the John Hancock building, amongst other places. I will drink wine and eat fancy cheese. I will wander. I will talk a lot.

Mmm, the future. Thirteen days..

3 comments:

Brian said...

Don't worry too much about the co-ed bathrooms thing. My first year in Mathews we voted to have first-floor as co-ed and the rest single sex, and by late October the system had broken down and they all ended up co-ed by default.

If it bothers you (it bothered me), you just have to learn to stay away from the first floor bathroom. That has considerably more traffic than the others, so you're *much* more likely to avoid human contact if you go up to the second or third floor.

Also, about that math placement test - after I took my AP Calc exam in high school, I didn't even *think* about calc for 4 months and looked at my notes for about a half an hours several days before the exam, and I thought I had completely muffed the thing (concepts I'd never seen before, questions left blank, you name it)...I ended up getting placed in 16100. You will meet a *lot* of people with similar stories. Just eat a hearty breakfast that morning and don't panic - you'll do fine.

Oh, and if you have math questions go up to 646 and talk to Yotam Schachter. He's the big friendly Jewish guy with the shaved head, and he has taken Analysis. He is a Math God.

Yours,

Brian
--I may live off-campus, but I'm a Mathewsnik FOREVER!--

Claire said...

Thanks for the advice. :) Luckily my room is on the third floor.

And I've been reading up on my calculus.. I'm not too worried anymore. I only don't want to end up in precalc.. is that possible from doing poorly on the calc exam? Or do they just place you in a beginning/"light" calc course? And if you do well enough, say, 16100, can you opt to take stats instead? Or some other math course?

On the off chance you read this again..

Brian said...

Well, all those questions should have been covered in your registration meeting today. If you have lingering questions then send me an e-mail at bhinkle@uchicago.edu