Saturday, September 22, 2007

a film review

Do not go see "Across the Universe"--just don't.

I wanted this film to succeed, I really did. The trailor was well-done; it charmed me. But it didn't happen. I was not charmed. I was embarrassed.

Maybe it was the way the film expected one to feel for a movie's characters based solely on events, neatly dusting the concept of "character development" under the rug. Or the way everything became so ridiculously formulaic while pretending not to be--while parading around as art (now that is pretension.) Or the character Prudence, who apparently exists solely so the song "Dear Prudence" can be used, and as the token gay.

I watched metaphors painfully constructed on the screen. The most cringe-inducing: a group of Vietnam soldiers literally carrying the Statue of Liberty through the fields.

The movie relies on our knowledge of the "craziness" of the 60's and creates a bloated and cliched vision of the time without bothering to make it personal. When the characters actually speak instead of sing, they tend to be unoriginal and corny (like when Lucy sees off her war-going boyfriend, or Jude uses the phrase "bun in the oven" without any humor.)

Watching this movie, there were several times I actually cringed. I felt insulted.

The last movie I saw that tried to call itself art and failed this miserably was "A History of Violence".. if you want to gouge out your eyes, have a marathon. Watch both.

4 comments:

Cat said...

How very sad...I was actually planning on seeing that film for the very same reason! (I was irrevocably charmed....well, evidently revocable.) Thanks for the warning.

Chaim said...

I would normally take this advice under consideration, but am unable to because of how much we disagree about A History of Violence. Flawed flick, but still an example of Cronenberg at the top of his game. Great imagery, good script, AMAZING acting... What was to dislike there?

Claire said...

I'll reply here (mostly because I don't know where else would be appropriate but also everyone should know why I didn't like A History of Violence):

I thought the script was awful (very cliched also, I thought, in a way that wanted to be art). The angsty boy was so typically angsty, and the kid who bullied him in gym so ridiculously unrealistic it didn't feel authentic to me. I suppose I would provide a better argument but I haven't seen it since it first came out--I remember hating the dialogue and thinking the drama was pretty outlandish too (like when the wife suddenly throws up during the interaction with her husband).

Marla ji said...

Wow, thanks for this review. I was looking forward to seeing it, but I figured it'd probably end up being fairly disappointing. I'll have to quickly see it while it's still in theatres, so I can just get a free viewing. Maybe I don't want to be seen in public viewing it, though..