Sunday, October 15, 2006

freedom and democracy and SUVs for every boy and girl!

Wow. It's October now.

The past month has mostly been a blur of Adam Smith, vaguely-beatnikish activities, and ethnic food. A good blur, though. I should brush my teeth.

And not eat Lebanese food anymore, because apparently it causes me to almost-vomit at 6 in the morning for no particular reason. Weird.

Yesterday I walked from here, 60th Street, all the way to 35th Street where I got on the green el and rode until Adams/Wabash (I think). Twenty-five blocks may not sound like a lot, but it was reasonably exhausting. I started out thinking I could make it all the way downtown, but that would have taken hours. I will do it, though, eventually. Or eventch, as Alex says.

I came to Chicago somehow thinking the city, the downtown, would be my destination... the downtown is great, but it's all of the in-betweens that make a city so fabulous. Yuppie neighborhoods and their "starvin' vegans", bakeries with cheap pastries run by Slavic immigrants, train folk, singing old black men, bubble tea, Ethiopian cuisine. There's also the university life.. taping chairs to the ceiling, tea-drinking. Ironically, I'm more relaxed now than I ever was in high school.

Oh yeah, and I'm taking classes...

No comments: