Monday, July 09, 2007

you weren't meant for me.

Because our apartment has a guitar, it also has a theme song. The song changes weekly, and is always according to T.'s interest at the moment. Once he's zeroed in on something, he looks up the chords and works at it until he can recreate it for the purposes of this home.

(It started back in the dorm as a sort of player-listener relationship - with him teaching himself Portuguese songs and me pressing him to play them - but has now progressed into something more interactive. I have learned four chords to clumsily strum along to a very short Italian celebration song. I have been shown rough diagrams of the mouth and T. has explained how the air resounds on the roof of the mouth. I have sung along, and timidly alone.)

Sometime last week, T. decided to give Jewel a try, old-school and hippie-ish of course, before her albums were dotted with "u" and "r" and likely "w/e" and "lol." "Who Will Save Your Soul?" was the first to get strummed, and it lasted for a couple days. Strangely, however, it was "You Were Meant For Me" that won the round, and for several days now it's all any of us can sing.

Back when I went through a Jewel thing for a couple weeks at about 16, I never really gave this song the attention I find myself paying it now. I am surprised by my own sincerity as I wash the dishes and cry with increasing volume, "Besides, what would I say if I had you on the line?"

The theme song always reflects my mood, T. is mysterious that way. What would I say? It's a good thing people move, thereby changing their numbers and protecting those without any sense.

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" just wouldn't cut it right now.

No comments: