Saturday, December 02, 2006

What child is this anyway?

All you need to get you going is a good existential crisis, apparently. And calming green tea from the depths of China. And Yann Tiersen.

My essay is now half-written, draft sent to my TA to be destroyed, bless her heart. I will probably be too lazy to make the changes she suggests, though, sadly... but requirements are requirements. I included in my email of the draft a bizarre, rambling notice on how I referred to the third person reader as "he", because that seemed grammatically correct and less awkward than the cumbersome "he or she". I said I was a feminist and found this distasteful but necessary. Or something. It was really just completely random.

I just re-read my teacher's notes at the end of my last essay (on the Metamorphoses of Ovid, kind of).. he wrote that I have "a good eye for details, but there's some meandering from idea to idea". Which I think is fantastic, because really, that's how I think. I meander. I aimlessly wander, like a lost old woman with a cane. Only just slightly more quickly.

I am recently obsessed with this video and the showcased song. I have forced at least 4 people to watch (and adore) it.

The line "My love for you is not like friendship" is so simple, but effective. Sometimes you only love someone like a lover, or it seems more intense, or you can't focus on the friend part, even though that seems to undermine the relationship. The first time I watched that video I wasn't paying close attention and ended up thinking the boy was a boy she liked, which got me thinking about what would happen if you fell in love with someone when you were small, you died, and you watched them grow up, and fall for and marry someone else. And all the while you're the same little girl, stuck in time and in love, unable to meet anyone new. Love is such a fascinating emotion.

Obsession #2: Kate Bush's high-pitched rendition of Wuthering Heights--something of which I somehow never tire. I first heard the song performed at a Decemberists show, by Petra Haden, and I loved it immediately. I was then pressed to read the book, which I liked very much, and grew to love... one of those books that somehow take time to sink in. Now I want badly to re-read it.

Obsession #3: "Rue des Cascades" by Yann Tiersen. It's like being somewhere that doesn't exist. And when it breaks into strings + accordian I want to melt.

Now, in celebration of classes being done, and finals week being only a week long, and my room being an incredible mess, and rejecting high heels, and drinking white wine, and discovering the Classics Cafe today, and snow, and fuzzy socks, and accurately memorizing a Chinese dialog, and feather bedding, and the god of green tea...

I go to bed.

1 comment:

katherinejustine said...

Gotta love Yann....